Radel R-5500 PPSU Rod & Sheet: Properties and Applications
Radel R-5500 polyphenylsulfone (PPSU) is a high-performance thermoplastic with outstanding impact resistance, making it a superior choice for various applications. This versatile material provides exceptional chemical resistance, outperforming polysulfone and polyetherimide (Ultem* PEI). Moreover, Radel R-5500 boasts virtually unlimited steam sterilizability, making it an ideal candidate for medical devices that require reliable sterilization methods like steam autoclaves.
Radel R-5500 is readily available in its natural (bone white) form, as well as in transparent and custom colors, offering flexibility in design and application. Its notable uses include sterilization trays, dental and surgical instrument handles, as well as fluid handling coupling and fitting applications. This thermoplastic is also suitable for electronic assembly equipment and devices exposed to solder temperatures, thanks to its impressive heat deflection temperature of 405°F (207°C).
- Medical Wands: Radel R-5500 rods are expertly machined into ergonomic handles for structural components in medical devices, offering superior impact resistance and autoclavability, a significant improvement over prior materials like stainless steel.
- Endoscopic Probe Positioning Ferrule: In the field of endoscopic surgical devices, Radel R-5500 rods are intricately machined to create positioning ferrules for instrument handles, providing a notable upgrade from stainless steel.
- Biocompatible Medical Applications: Radel R-5500 is an excellent choice for various biocompatible medical applications, including insulin pens, blood glucometers, tubing, sterilization trays, and cauterization devices.
- End Caps and Small Components: Radel R-5500 is a preferred material for end caps and small components in filtering equipment used in pharmaceutical, electronics, and food industries, replacing materials like stainless steel and Ultem* PEI.
While Radel R-5500 is approved for use in a wide range of medical devices, it is important to note that it is not USDA compliant, making it unsuitable for food contact applications. Additionally, Radel is not designed for wear resistance, and its properties may degrade when exposed to sunlight.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS of Radel R-5500 – PPSU Rod & Sheet:
- Outstanding impact resistance and steam resistance up to 400°F (205°C).
- Compliant with USP Class VI standards, ensuring safety in medical applications.
- Exceptional resistance to steam autoclaving, providing reliable sterilization capabilities.
- Resists common acids and bases.
- High modulus of elasticity and heat resistance, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.